HOME PLANTS GUIDES ABOUT US SEARCH

Guide to Poisonous Houseplants

Toxic and Poisonous Indoor plants

Indoor plants can bring harmony and enhance homes from acting as points of interest to more practical purposes such as improving air quality and enhancing our mental and physical health.

Often pets and children can live happily in plant filled homes. However as any pet owner or parent will know, they can be very curious and inquisitive, which may lead to problems.

It's important therefore to consider how some houseplants may negatively interact with the inhabitants of the home. In this article we look at some ideas surrounding poisonous and toxic indoor plants, some myths and some ideas to keep in mind for happy pets and little people alike.

Cats can live in homes with houseplants, just choose pet friendly ones photo by Monica

Many outdoor and wild plants have been grown by humans indoors as houseplants for centuries and over that time, fortunately, the very dangerous plants have not tended to become popular. In fact of all the houseplant profiles we have ever written, only one or two are considered very dangerous and have the potential to be fatal.

If you take only one thing away from reading this article then it should be that when houseplants are listed as "toxic" or "poisonous" it does not translate into them automatically being deadly. Naturally, with some, you do need to take care, but most do minimal damage as the toxicity levels are low and usually only affect people and pets significantly if a lot of the plant is consumed.

What is a Poisonous Houseplant?

Are any of your houseplants potentially poisonous?Poisonous or toxic houseplants are simply plants which can cause adverse reactions in animals or people. These reactions are fortunately almost always minor such as mouth irritation or an upset stomach.

They can, of course, result in more serious symptoms although this is rare. However, plants can be given away and replaced but people and pets can't. With this in mind no one would begrudge you if, for peace of mind, you decided to give your Sago Palm away after you notice your cat becoming far too interested in it.

Why are some Plants Poisonous?

Out in the wild, plants are normally at a distinct disadvantage because they're rooted in place and can't flee if attacked by a predator.

It's generally thought that over time plants evolved to produce certain toxins which are designed to repel animals and people from eating them.

Very few plants have evolved to deliberately kill, simply because it would take considerable energy and effort to produce the toxins needed to do it. Why bother doing this when all the plant needs to do is create something much more basic and easier that makes the nibbler feel unwell so that it won't be back for seconds.

How Worried Should I Be?

There is a lot of misinformation out there are that does cause unnecessary worry. An example is the famous Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia), it has an absolutely terrible reputation as being a highly poisonous and deadly houseplant, but this is wrong. A potentially Poisonous Dieffenbachia Camilla (Dumb Cane) photo taken by LucaLuca

The truth is that Dumb Canes are poisonous, however it rarely kills human or animal. All parts of the plant have lots of microscope needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals and when some unfortunate animal (or person) eats part of the plant, it ends up with a painful and swollen mouth.

In some cases the swelling is so bad it causes the victim to go silent for inability to talk, this is where the common name of Dumb Cane came from. However, it's rarely fatal and is no more dangerous than many other houseplants.

So yes while many websites and people will tell you the Dumb Cane is toxic, which is correct, that's not the full story, resulting in people assuming the worst. In fact, only a handful of houseplants should cause significant worry and we clearly signpost this in our plant profile articles.

Which Houseplants are Safe?

There are many non-toxic and non-poisonous houseplants out there, some plants are only mildly so and only a small number are actually deadly. In our plant articles, there is a section in the Care Instructions which details if that particular plant is poisonous or not and where relevant we provide a bit more context surrounding this.

If you're unsure about whether a houseplant you already own or are looking to buy is "safe", head to our Plant Hub to find out more.

Ourhouseplants Plant Hub Screenshot

That said, "safe" is a relative term. Houseplant enthusiast Tovah Martin says "I keep it simple: None of your houseplants should be eaten by people or pets". And we really couldn't have put it better.

There are some non-toxic plants that can still cause problems for people and pets such as allergies or physical damage from spines or thorns so care needs to be taken. Plus ultimately you don't want your houseplants to be damaged or even ruined by things eating or playing rough with them.

My Pet has Eaten a Poisonous Houseplant

Firstly try to keep calm as it doesn't do you or your pet any good to be frantic.

Remember only a few houseplants are very poisonous and the rest that are recognised to be toxic usually require a LOT to be eaten to be fatal. Typically, therefore, eating a poisonous houseplant will just result in an unwell pet.

The most common symptoms of houseplant poisoning are drooling, confusion, disorientation, vomiting and diarrhea.

However, we'd always suggest being safe than sorry. So if you think your pet has eaten part of an indoor plant, keep calm and try to identify what it's eaten and estimate how much of it. Then give your vet a call and explain what's happened, who will advise you of what to do next.


My Child has Eaten a Poisonous Houseplant

The bad news is that children can sometimes be just as curious as pets when it comes to indoor houseplants and can easily play with or eat parts of nearby plants.

The good news, however, is that there are very few reported deaths or long term health consequences of children playing with or eating houseplants. Of course, it goes without saying that you do need to be sensible and ensure you don't have highly toxic plants in your home. Alternatively, you need to make sure those which have a possible risk are well out of reach of the child.

If you suspect a child has come into contact with a toxic plant, find out what it is (ideally you want the Latin name to avoid confusion with plants that share several "common" names). Estimate how much has been eaten and then contact your local health care provider such as your local GP, or hospital for advice.


Also on Ourhouseplants.com

Credit for Cactus houseplant and Cat in hammock photo - LucaLuca
Credit for Dieffenbachia Camilla - Article - LucaLuca


Comments

comments powered by Disqus

Follow Us



Top
Our Houseplant Guide Hub - containing lots of how to guides

For even more Houseplant help you may like our

Houseplant Guides ยป